top of page
Wedding Decorations

Marriage Licenses

If you intend to be married in New York State you must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the State.  Please bring all required documents, fees and current valid photo ID. No appointment is necessary in Groton, but the process takes approximately 20 minutes so please plan accordingly.


Fee: $40.00 (includes your marriage certificate)


Waiting Period: 24 hours from time license is issued.


Expires: 60 days, beginning the day after license is issued. (Extended to 180 days for active duty military)


Required Documentation: Original Birth Certificate; picture identification; copies of all divorce decrees.

Surname: You will need to decide what surname you will be using at the time of applying.


One Day Officiant License: The individual need not apply in person and may mail in the application if the signature is notarized. Please mail to or apply for the license at the clerk's office where the marriage license will be issued.


Replacement of lost marriage certificate: Replacements are made by the clerk in the town or city where you bought your license.  The fee is $10.00 when requesting a copy from the Groton Town Clerk.  If you do not know where your license was issued, you may apply to the New York State Department of Health.

bottom of page